Tuesday, December 14, 2010

24 hours of no expectations

With the goals of the day casually tossed aside, or in the very least dealt with individually without stressing over the next, I conducted the rest of my day yesterday in a way most foreign to the very fiber of my being.

I did manage to accomplish quite a few of the tasks that needed to be completed; I prepped for sugaring, I updated our fan page, uploaded a wack of pictures, I created a new video for our senior's yoga, I started writing our AHA! presentation and I booked, prepped, dressed for and attended a family portrait (the first in 5 years!). Each time I finished a task, I gave himself a pat on the back and moved on.

I also managed to not make my bed, not cook dinner (electing instead to take advantage of Swiss Chalet's Festive Special after the family portrait), not go to the grocery store, not apply for Kenny's grade 5 ski pass (until after returning home after dinner at Swiss Chalet).

Really the last 24 hours were not so much about what I did and did not do; what I managed to accomplish and what I did not. I am coming to the realization that it's more about how I feel and how I react to doing and NOT doing. I have to admit that it was very stressful in the beginning when I didn't know what task to tackle first and how my day was going to unfold. I was so accustomed to having a list to tell me what my day would look like. But once I resolved to tuck that list away, and deal with each task just as I remembered them. I found myself being more involved in each task and the feeling of happiness with its completion without a second thought about what would come next. Until, of course, it was time to deal with the next task.
I greeted each non-accomplishment with an "oh well..maybe tomorrow".

So tomorrow has arrived and I think I might approach today in the same way. It might be a bit more difficult as I do have to work. Teaching classes on a schedule does tend to hamper a "no expectations" mentality...I'll let you all know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment