Thursday, November 11, 2010

...Contemplations on the Social Networking Generation

After having met with a beautiful, youthful woman who is a social networking guru, I am struck with my age. Just like cassettes vs vinyl, CD vs cassettes, MP3's vs CD, virtual vs real have all been dividing lines between generations in the past. I feel I have come to the edge of my generational divide.

I felt as though my head was going to explode and I saw my business partner, Nicole's eyes glaze over. My thoughts began at one spot; using Social Networking as a means of building our business and by the end of the hour, if you could map my lines of thought, it would look like a sea anenome!

I was introduced to a whole new vocabulary and I was amazed at the ease of our Guru's ability to detail how all the different networks could be linked together, how they could all be updated in one click on a computer or from my cell, how they could be used to increase awareness of what Nicole and I do at the studio and how they could be used to simultaneously widen and tighten our East Village community.

And now as I write this entry, I gaze at my children and realize that ALL this will be second nature to them. I will seem as out of touch to them as my parents seemed to me when email came to town. Especially since in the back of my mind I am still asking "Does everyone really need to know where I am and what I am doing every moment of everyday?". BTW the answer is "Yes, yes they do"

No comments:

Post a Comment